- 6 oranges (930g)
- 1 lemon
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- Handful of thyme
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
1. Put 3-4 small plates in the freezer - this is for the plate test in step 11.
2. Peel orange into long strips. Avoid the pith as much as possible (white stuff under the peel)
3. Finely slice the peel into thin slithers
4. Bring water to boil in medium saucepan and cook orange peel for 3-4 mins
5. Drain and set aside
6. Using a sharp knife, remove as much pith as possible from the oranges, and remove segments of oranges between membranes. Do this over a large bowl so that you catch all the juice. Juice lemon into this mixture
7. Discard (or compost) your orange membranes and pith
8. Weigh orange segments, juice and peel. Add 1/3 cup sugar for every 100g of orange.
9. Put orange and sugar mix into a saucepan with chilli flakes and thyme leaves.
10. Cook mixture on high heat until thickened. Stir so that mixture doesn't stick to the bottom of pan.
11. Take a plate out of the freezer. Put a spoon of marmalade onto the chilled plate. Run your finger through the marmalade. If the line remains, the marmalade is ready. If the marmalade fills the line, it's too liquid and has not reached setting point. If the marmalade is not ready, continue boiling the mixture and testing the setting point every few minutes.
12. Fill sterilized jars with the marmalade mix and seal while still warm.
Makes 420ml marmalade